Monday, January 18, 2010

Too Many Friends?

After reading "Six Degrees of Lois Weisberg"  and " Improving Your Ability to Share and Connect( Mark Zuckerberg on the Facebook Blog)" I'm at the conclusion that maybe there is such a thing as too many friends. When does it stop, and more importantly how are we suppose to keep track of all these things. Yes I know there's Facebook and a hundred other things, but what I mean is doesn't become to much. I don't want to know all of these people, yes it great for jobs and contacts but its hard enough to get to know five people now we must know thousands. I'm saying that contacts and being informed isn't good. Its just these modes of interacting can get a little intimidating an confusing to say the least. As much as I love the "small world" idea some times I like it to still be a big world out there to explore without someone knowing me from one of my friends or other aquantinces.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with what you have said but I also think that the biggest reason for social networking is to extend your friend networks without really meeting them from time to time. Facebook is trying hard to keep everything organized so users can keep track of everything but as you said the bigger your network gets the harder it gets to maintain it, I think facebook needs to do a better job of taking care of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why facebook allows you to create groups of friends. You obviously aren't equally good friends with all the people you're linked to on facebook so it's more up to the user to separate and group their friends and keep up with the ones that are more important to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yeah...that's just fact i guess....trying to build up an enormous list of friends without keeping track of their daily activities....hmmm!!!but on the other side most of these contacts and friends might come in handy in the future..you never can tell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do agree with you Twin, sometimes it can get hard to organize and keep track of each and every person within your friends list. Sometimes people just become friends just for the sake of saying "Hey, I knew that guy/girl back in Elementary school (or what have you)." But how long has it been since you've talked? 15 years give or take? I feel as though people shouldn't try to take on too many people as friends both as a security measure (you never know who's stalking you) and as an ease on your conscience. On the contrary, places such as Facebook and MySpace have reconnected millions of people with family members, friends, and classmates alike. It's okay to have friends, just no need to have 500,000 when you only have a close circle of about 100.

    ReplyDelete